Job Opportunity - Carleton University
Written by Administrator
Monday, 30 May 2011 20:38
Internship opportunity - Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage
Job title: Education and Outreach Assistant
Location: Carleton University Art Gallery (CUAG), Ottawa, ON
Duration: 37 weeks
Dates: June 20, 2011 to March 2, 2012
Full time: 35 hours per week
Language of work: English
The Education and Outreach Assistant will work with CUAG’s Director and Curator to research, develop and implement a wide-ranging program of education and outreach activities, including but not limited to panel discussions, symposia, gallery tours, workshops and lectures. They will work to expand awareness on the part of academic units of the art gallery’s rich resources so as to facilitate the use of its collections and exhibitions in teaching and research; identify and pursue opportunities for collaboration between the art gallery and faculty members; design, coordinate and evaluate student-oriented activities that enhance university life; liaise with local schools and community groups in order to identify and understand their needs and interests and to promote the art gallery’s activities; design, coordinate and evaluate school activities to complement and promote understanding and enjoyment of the art gallery’s exhibition program.
The candidate will possess a university or college degree in art history, art education, or museum studies. Preference will be given to candidates who possess an M.A. in one of the above-mentioned fields. Previous museum experience or work experience involving youth and/or retirees is an asset but not mandatory. The candidate will need basic word-processing skills (MS Word) as well as experience working with Excel spreadsheets or the equivalent. Fluency in English is required and basic or superior knowledge of French is an asset but not mandatory.
This is an internship funded by the Young Canada Works at Building Heritage Careers in Heritage Program.
To be eligible for this internship, you must meet the following criteria:
1) be legally entitled to work in Canada;
2) be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (Note: Non-Canadian interns holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.);
3) be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
4) be an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
5) be a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months;
6) not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with YCW;
7) must not have previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy;
8) be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
9) not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW; and
10) be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory (www.youngcanadaworks.gc.ca).
If you meet the above criteria, please visit the Young Canada Works website (http://www.pch.gc.ca/ycw). You can register in the online candidate inventory and apply for the internship there.
Application deadline is Wednesday 8 June 2011.
For any questions, please contact Alisdair MacRae at (613) 520-2600, ext. 2929, or email