In our seemingly endless Gossip Girl drought before the March 8th return (still more than six weeks away), pretty much any GG news is exciting, and that goes double for this scoop: Billy Baldwin has been cast as Keith van der Woodsen. He's apparently going to show up and . . . I don't even know. Be amazing. Okay, he's apparently going to show up and cause trouble between Rufus and Lily, which is fine by me as Rufus sucks, and do . . . something with his daughter. And maybe his son? Eric's constantly in need of plot material. So, is Billy a good fit for the role even though the last we saw him he looked like the man at left? Things we know about him:
- Might be (probably is) from money.
- Had a brief affair with Lily's older sister before meeting Lily.
- Did cocaine in the 80s with Tom Cruise.
- Fathered Serena and Eric.
- Divorced Lily.
- Put a ton of effort into ignoring his children, particularly his daughter, since then.
- Is a doctor with MSF even though he apparently produced music videos in the 80s.
- Has a child's writing rather than a doctor scrawl.
- May have had an affair with Lily last fall.
- May or may not be aware of/involved with Carter Braizen.
Now, it sounds to me like this is right up Billy's alley. Keith can come back, have an affair with Lily, epically fail at parenting his children (as all parents do on this show unless they aren't related to the child, cf. Elanor/Jenny, Lily/Chuck), maybe take a run at the Bass fortune (or the Rhodes fortune? Wonder how CeCe feels about Keith), and then disappear in a puff of smoke. Sounds great.
Also, this allows me to imagine that Carter didn't go off to work on an oil rig after all but to find Keith and bring him back once and for all. There was a whole thing about "being a man" in his exit line that I didn't get, but I bet this would make sense to the writer who came up with that nonesense. Plus, Carter's pouty mouth and beltless trousers make for excellent television.